Transportation Industry Overview
At Porzio, we have an uncommon understanding of the business and legal challenges facing the transportation industry. Our transportation practice is headed by one of the region’s foremost trucking and transportation lawyers and our client list includes industry leaders, such as Wal-Mart, Swift and Estes Express, as well as major insurance carriers, including Liberty Mutual, CNA and XL Insurance.
Over the years, we have developed ties to the trucking and transportation industry that extend well beyond the traditional attorney-client relationship. For example, the leader of Porzio’s Transportation Group has served as past chair of the ABA TIPS Commercial Transportation Litigation Committee and is an active member of DRI’s Trucking Law Committee, the Trucking Industry Defense Association and ATA’s Litigation Center.
Additionally, since 1993, the Group’s leader has co-planned and presented the Transportation Megaconference, the leading national program for those involved in trucking company-related litigation. The Megaconference provides attendees with practical insights concerning trucking litigation, a forum to learn from national experts, and an opportunity to meet, network, and exchange ideas with industry leaders and lawyers.
A Suite of Services
Having worked closely with the transportation industry for decades, we have industry-leading expertise to offer in many key areas, including:
- Defense Litigation—Representing truck drivers, trucking companies, insurance carriers and third-party administrators when accidents occur and claims are brought against them. Our defense team has handled hundreds of these claims from emergency response to trial.
- Insurance Coverage Law—Counseling companies on insurance coverage and litigating insurance coverage disputes.
- Environmental Law and Litigation—Helping companies manage fuel spills and releases and comply with environmental laws and regulations, including obtaining appropriate permits, remediation and “brownfields” development.
- Corporate Law—Litigating and counseling companies on a wide range of corporate legal matters, including business disputes, mergers and acquisitions, and Sarbanes-Oxley compliance.
- Bankruptcy and Financial Restructuring—Helping distressed transportation companies reorganize, retool, recover and rebuild.
- Employment and Labor—Defending companies against claims made by employees, including claims related to OSHA. We also provide assistance in negotiating severance packages and in developing employee manuals, policies and procedures.
- Land Use, Real Estate, and Construction—Assisting companies in the acquisition, lease or construction of warehouse or terminal facilities. We will shepherd your real estate project, transaction or dispute from conception to completion.
- Governmental Affairs—Advocating the legislative priorities of the transportation industry.