Allan Young is a seasoned trial and appellate lawyer with over 30 years’ experience in the state and federal courts of New York and New Jersey. Allan began his legal career prosecuting criminal cases as an Assistant District Attorney in Manhattan in the 1980’s. As a civil litigator, he has handled a wide variety of complex cases involving motor carrier defense, design and construction, products and premises liability, professional malpractice, plaintiff’s personal injury, commercial litigation, and environmental issues. Allan’s thorough legal research, fact investigation, vigorous cross-examination, skilled brief writing and passionate advocacy have resulted in many favorable dispositions. Equally comfortable prosecuting and defending cases, Allan has achieved significant monetary recoveries for the firm’s plaintiff clients and has successfully defended clients who have been sued. He has briefed and successfully argued appeals in New York’s appellate courts.
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.
- Recognized by New York Metro Super Lawyers 2014 - 2018.
A description of the selection process can be found here.
- New York State Bar Association, Committee on Civil Practice Law and Rules (2006-2014).
- Porzio Attorneys Recognized by New York Metro Super Lawyers, 2022, 9/29/2022
- Porzio Secures a Pre-Answer Dismissal for Sprint and Nextel of NY, 3/08/2019
- Court Sides with NYC Medallion Owners, Dismissing Motion for Summary Judgment, 8/31/2018
- New York Metro Super Lawyers 2017 Recognizes Porzio Attorneys, 9/20/2017
- Four Porzio Attorneys Recognized by New York Metro Super Lawyers and Rising Stars, 2016, 9/21/2016
- Five Porzio Attorneys Recognized by New York Metro Super Lawyers, 9/23/2014
- "New York Practice for New Jersey Attorneys," NJSBA Solo and Small-Firm Conference, Morristown, NJ, March 2, 2013.
- "What New Jersey Attorneys Need to Know About New York Civil Practice," New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, Annual Presentation 2003-2013.
As a member of the firm’s Litigation Practice Group, Allan has handled the following representative matters:
Commercial Litigation / Finance
- Obtained a $1.5 million judgment against a defaulting borrower on behalf of a private lender.
Design and Construction
- Wrote the winning Respondent’s Brief on behalf of a construction company involved in a NYC crane collapse case, which resulted in the Appellate Division’s affirmance of the trial court’s order precluding an adversary’s expert liability witness from testifying, and sustaining the jury’s verdict exonerating our client.
- Settled on extremely favorable defense terms a federal court lawsuit brought by a petroleum bulk storage facility against an engineering firm and, in the same suit, obtained a significant recovery for the client on its counterclaims.
- Defended and obtained a favorable resolution of claims against a trucking company alleged to have dumped prohibited debris at a landfill site.
Motor Carrier Defense
- Obtained a defense verdict in the Bronx in favor of an international parcel delivery service whose allegedly illegally-parked truck was blamed for causing a bus-bike collision.
- In hit-and-run tractor-trailer accident in which witnesses identified only the client's commercial trailer but not the tractor, obtained complete defense and indemnification against the previously-unknown tractor owner after intensive investigation.
- Obtained summary judgment dismissing wrongful death and personal injury claims against one of the world’s largest retail corporations arising out of a highway pileup that resulted in a $29.5 million verdict against other parties.
- Obtained a defense verdict in Brooklyn in favor of a trucking company sued in connection with an accident on the Verrazano Bridge that injured three people.
- Obtained dismissal of a case against a trucking company sued by a motorist who lost both legs in the accident.
Plaintiff's Medical Malpractice
- Recovered $4.5 million for the surviving newborn daughter of a woman who died in childbirth because of the doctors’ failure to diagnose and treat preeclampsia and eclampsia.
- Recovered $1.7 million for a child who suffered brain damage caused by doctors’ delays in delivering the baby.
Plaintiff's Personal Injury
- Prosecuted and obtained a substantial monetary settlement for a young woman severely injured by speeding police car where the City asserted an "emergency vehicle" defense.
- Prosecuted and obtained a significant settlement for a child who suffered facial injuries as a result of an attack by a neighbor’s dog, despite the fact that the dog had exhibited no previous signs of vicious propensities, an essential element to trigger liability under New York law.
- Defended a power plant operator in a construction accident case involving leg-crush injuries, obtaining dismissal of all claims.
- Defended and obtained summary dismissal of an elevator accident case against a residential apartment building owner.
- Represent property owners against personal injury claims based on alleged toxic exposure.
Opinions, Decisions and Cases
- Matter of 91st St. Crane Collapse Litigation, 154 AD3d 139 (1st Dept. 2017)
- Hoogland v. Transport Expressway, Inc., 72 AD2d 1026 (2d Dept. 2010)
- Bruno v. Thermo King, 66 AD3d 727 (2d Dept. 2009)
- North Fork Bank v. ABC Merchant Svcs, Inc., 49 AD3d 701 (2d Dept. 2008)
- Costanza v. Skyline Towers, 8 A.D.3d 524 (2nd Dept. 2004)
- Levitt v. FBI, 70 F.Supp.2d 346 (S.D.N.Y. 1999)