Legal Assistant - Bankruptcy
Porzio, Bromberg & Newman, P.C. seeks an experienced legal assistant to support attorneys in the Bankruptcy practice in our Morristown, NJ office. The ideal candidate will have excellent organization, time management, and multi-tasking skills. The candidate will also be client-service oriented, have great attention to detail while meeting deadlines, quick to learn and adopt new technologies, and can easily switch gears. The position requires an independent, self-motivated and flexible individual with excellent verbal and written communication skills. Proficiency with Outlook, Word, Excel and legal document management systems required. We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits package.
- Ability to answer all incoming calls and make outgoing calls in a professional manner.
- Ability to revise materials including, but not limited to correspondence, email, documents, memoranda, contracts and other projects. Edit and finalize documents and copy and distribute to clients, attorneys, personnel and the court.
- Proofread and redline documents, correspondence, contracts and memoranda to ensure accuracy of copy, grammar, punctuation and syntax.
- Receive and transmit telephone and conference calls and messages to attorneys, clients and personnel.
- Handle incoming and outgoing mail, date stamp and distribute promptly upon receipt.
- Coordinate travel arrangements securing air, hotel and car reservations for attorneys and clients.
- Set up and maintain personal and firm files.
- Coordinate conferences, meetings and appointments for attorneys and clients including scheduling conference rooms, meals and preparation of materials.
- Maintain calendar of meetings and business trips, apprising attorneys of responsibilities before commitment.
- Coordinate legal work through word processing, editing, communications and messenger services for the prompt production and delivery of documents.
- Coordinate preliminary conflicts checks with Conflict Check Group to ensure attorney and firm ability to represent requesting party.
- Maintain tickler system and follow up on requests made by attorneys, paralegals and clients.
- Review and edit bills prior to attorney approval.
- Coordinate and supervise e-filings and mass mailings, including filings with state and federal courts and agencies.
- Handle attorneys' personal business and information in a discreet and confidential manner.
- Perform additional assistant functions including processing new client/matter reports, expense reports, preparing notebooks and exhibits.
- Perform similar work-related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Proficiency with Outlook, Microsoft Office 2010 and ability to accurately type 75 WPM.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships throughout operational groups.
- Bankruptcy experience preferred.
- Familiarity with document management systems (iManage Work is preferred).
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task and prioritize workload.
- Familiarity with legal terminology pertinent to the area of assignment.
- Familiarity with state and federal court and administrative agency rules, procedures and deadlines.
- Ability to understand procedures and instructions specific to the areas of assignment.
- Minimum experience of two years as a legal assistant or equivalent.
- Notary certification is helpful, but not required.
Porzio Bromberg & Newman, P.C. is an equal opportunity employer – women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
COVID-19: Porzio requires its personnel to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of vaccination is required. Exemption requests related to a medical or pregnancy contraindication, or a sincerely held religious belief, will be reviewed and considered depending on the firm's ability to provide an accommodation without undue hardship.