Paralegal – Wealth Preservation
Porzio, Bromberg & Newman, P.C., a full service law firm located at 100 Southgate Parkway, Morristown, NJ, seeks a Full-time, Non-Exempt Paralegal to join its Wealth Preservation team. Wealth Preservation Paralegals are responsible for managing complex matters and/or complex projects and work under the direct supervision of an attorney. Wealth Preservation Paralegals are expected to perform at a high level of productivity, effectiveness and competence.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Prepare and file initial applications for government benefits including Medicaid applications and intake applications with the New Jersey Division of Developmental Disabilities;
- Prepare and file redetermination applications for government benefits;
- •nalyze bank and other financial statements to track financial transactions between several different investment vehicles;
- Prepare and conduct necessary financial audits for government benefits applications;
- Prepare and file informal special needs trust accountings;
- Calculate trustee and guardianship commissions;
- Manage the government benefits application process (including calendaring and coordination of document collection process with clients);
- Communicate with clients, financial advisors, and insurance companies via mail, email, and telephone to gather information necessary to complete an application;
- Gather and organize necessary documents (i.e. financial records, vital statistics, etc.) to file a completed government benefits application;
- Meet with clients on an as needed basis to collect and gather information;
- Proactively anticipate and resolve issues quickly to move an application forward;
- Prepare estate planning documents, including last wills and testament, powers of attorney, living will and trusts under attorney supervision;
- Assist to fund trusts and retitle assets;
- Conduct title searches prior to deed transfers; and
- Prepare deeds and associated documents.
- Demonstrated ability to consistently provide premium client service in a cost-effective manner.
- Demonstrated ability to draft client-related documentation specific to assigned practice area, including but not limited to, correspondence, factual research memoranda, and budgets. Ability to draft pleadings, closing papers, discovery and motions is a plus.
- Demonstrated proficiency in performing factual investigation and research.
- Demonstrated ability to understand, interpret and apply court rules is a plus.
- Ability to meet with or interview clients and experts.
- Proficiency in project management, including estimating time needed to complete projects.
- Ability to adhere to general office policies and procedures.
- Assist in training, orientation and mentoring of Paralegals and other support personnel.
- Provide or supervise general clerical support, including filing and indexing.
- Proficiency in time keeping best practices.
- Proficiency in using firm equipment.
- Proficiency on all applicable firm computer programs.
- Perform other work-related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor's Degree required
- Paralegal Certificate from an ABA-accredited program, preferred
- Project management experience or training preferred.
- A minimum of two (2) years of relevant experience
- Ability to work independently
- Demonstrated mastery of practice area skills, professional skills, and knowledge of internal operations sufficient to handle routine matters within individual area of authority using discretion and initiative.
- Demonstrated experience with Microsoft Office Applications including Word, Outlook, and Excel.
- Knowledge of the NJ Division of Medical Assistance and Health Services, NJ Division of Developmental Disabilities is a plus.
- Some knowledge of federal income taxes as they pertain to liquidation of investments is a plus.
- Strong verbal, written, analytical, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Flexibility in daily work schedule to meet company/client needs during periods of heavy workload.
- Flexibility in schedule to travel on company client-related business.
- A valid driver's license and/or ability to transport oneself to off-site project locations independent of mass transit.
For consideration, please send your resume to Jennifer Ciaburri at JACiaburri@pbnlaw.com. We are an equal opportunity employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
* The statements in this job description are not necessarily all-inclusive; additional duties may be assigned and job requirements may vary from time to time.