David J. Carlson is a principal in the Corporate team, and he counsels clients on a range of transactional matters including commercial agreements, strategic alliances, mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance issues, new entity formation, and day-to-day business questions.
Relying on his experience in both private practice and in-house as a general counsel, David has broad experience across multiple industries and different subject matter areas. Prior to joining Porzio, David served as the General Counsel of a hospitality start-up, General Counsel of a business unit of a Fortune 500 hospitality company, and Associate General Counsel of a pharmaceutical company. In each of these roles, David has worked to build relationships with his colleagues to better understand their businesses and to help formulate solutions to a variety of issues. More than anything, David views his most important role as helping clients to solve problems.
David has also advised small businesses and larger clients as an attorney in private practice and as an in-house attorney on a wide range of matters including, acquisitions and sales of businesses, SEC reporting for public companies, and securities offerings.
Outside of the office, David has been an active volunteer in several organizations. He currently serves as a member of the Board of Trustees of Pillar Care Continuum (formerly Cerebral Palsy of North Jersey), a nonprofit dedicated to providing lifelong support to people with disabilities, where he recently completed a term as Chairperson of the Board. David is also a regular contributor to his undergraduate alma mater, Dickinson College, where he has served on the New York Regional Alumni Council and as a member of the Presidential Scholarship Task Force. David is also an active tennis player and platform tennis player.
- Represented Porzio, Bromberg & Newman in the sale of its compliance technology-focused subsidiary business, Porzio Life Sciences, to a portfolio company owned by private equity firms.
- Represented the seller in connection with the sale of assets of a full-service strategic market access marketing company in the healthcare industry to a portfolio company owned by a private equity firm.
- Negotiated strategic alliance agreement with travel provider for white-label cruise services.
- Negotiated master services agreement with travel provider to offer travel services to membership group.
- Represented global exchange company in negotiation of multi-year resort affiliation agreement with branded vacation club.
- Led negotiations of master services agreement providing call center services to a global hotel company.
- Led multi-jurisdictional acquisition of a global vacation exchange company with operations in Australia, New Zealand, the United States, Europe, and Asia.
- Led the acquisition of a vacation rental company in Florida in connection with the expansion of a national vacation rental company.
- Implemented a Transitional Services Agreement and directed a multi-functional global team in negotiating the bifurcation of approximately 140 agreements in connection with the sale of a European vacation rental business.
- Created rental management agreement template for a short-term rental start-up.
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.
- New Jersey Law Journal, "Innovator of the Year" honoree, 2023
A description of the selection process can be found here.
- Member, Board of Trustees, Pillar Care Continuum (formerly Cerebral Palsy of North Jersey) 2008-Present
- Member, Dickinson College Presidential Scholarship Task Force, 2021
- Chairperson, Board of Trustees, Pillar Care Continuum, 2018-2020
- Member, Dickinson College Regional Alumni Council 2015-2019
- Porzio, Bromberg & Newman Named Winner of Financial Times Innovative Lawyers in Healthcare & Life Sciences Award, 12/05/2023
- Porzio's David Carlson and John Oroho Named "Legal Innovators of the Year", 9/14/2023
- Porzio's David Carlson and John Oroho Named Finalists for New Jersey Legal Awards, 7/21/2023
- Landmark Deal in Legal Industry: Porzio, Bromberg & Newman is the First-Ever U.S. Law Firm to Sell its Legal Technology Subsidiary to Private Equity, 10/17/2022
- Porzio Welcomes New Principal David J. Carlson to the Business Law Team, 9/09/2021
"Breaking Through the Fog: Navigating the Haze of Cannabis in the Workplace," Morris County Chamber of Commerce, 1/19/2022
- Association of Corporate Counsel – Executive Leadership Institute, “The Master Class for the Next Generation of General Counsel,”Chicago, Illinois, July 2015.
- Wyndham Worldwide – “Leading Your Organization,” Orlando, Florida, May 2012.
Prior Relevant Experience
- General Counsel, Urbain Hospitality Group Inc. (a hospitality start-up offering short-term rentals in urban settings)
- Senior Vice President and Business Unit General Counsel, Wyndham Destinations, Inc. (now known as Travel + Leisure, Inc.)
- Associate General Counsel, The Medicines Company