James H. Coleman, Jr. is Of Counsel to Porzio, Bromberg & Newman, P.C. He joined Porzio, Bromberg & Newman following a long judicial career. He focuses his practice on advising attorneys and clients on appellate strategy and on acting as a mediator or arbitrator of complex, private and public disputes.
Justice Coleman earned the Honorary Doctor of Laws from Virginia State University, Widener University and Essex County College.
Based on the more than 2,000 opinions authored by Justice Coleman, the media has concluded that "despite his historic roles, he has no agenda but to dispense justice evenly . . . That he has been a justice for all seasons . . . heavy on substance, light on flash." His legacy also has been described as "The Great Leveler."
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.
- Included in The Best Lawyers in America® as the Newark Best Lawyers Arbitration "Lawyer of the Year" (2015) and Arbitration and Appellate Practice (2023); Included in The Best Lawyers in America®, Appellate Practice, Arbitration and Mediation, 2011 - 2023.
A description of the selection process can be found here.
- Lifetime Achievement Award, New Jersey Law Journal, 2016.
A description of the selection process can be found here.
- NJ Hall of Fame Nominee (2015)
- The Inaugural recipient of the Governor Kean Award for Commitment to People in Poverty (2014)
- Justice Thurgood Marshall Award of Excellence (2013)
- New Jersey State Bar Association Medal of Honor (2003)
- James H. Coleman, Jr. New Jersey Workers’ Compensation American Inn of Court, 2003–present
- CPR Institute for Dispute Resolution
- New Jersey State Bar Foundation, Fellow, 2003–present
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow, 1995–present
- American Law Institute, 1985–present
- Garden State Bar Association, 1980–present
- Judicial Council of the National Bar Association, 1973–present
- American Bar Association, 1971–present
- American Judicature Society, 1965–present
- New Jersey State Bar Association, 1962–present
- Union County Bar Association, 1962–present
- National Bar Association, 1960–present
- Chair, New Jersey Supreme Court Historical Society Advisory Board
- Member, New Jersey Task Force on Judicial Independence
- Member, Board of Trustees of University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey
- Judicial Advisory Panel, Co-Chair
- Board of Trustees of St. Paul’s College
- Board of Trustees New Jersey Symphony
- Legal Services of New Jersey, Chairman, Board of Trustees
- Death Penalty Study Commission
- Member, Board of Advisors to President of University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey
- New Jersey Judicial College, Committee on Judicial Seminars
- New Jersey Supreme Court, Appellate Division Management Committee
- New Jersey Supreme Court Committee on Criminal Practice
- New Jersey Supreme Court Committee on Legal Ethics
- New Jersey Supreme Court Committee on Medical Malpractice
- New Jersey Supreme Court Committee on Minorities in the Judiciary, Chairman
- New Jersey Supreme Court Committee on Probation
- New Jersey Supreme Court Committee to Review the ABA and the N.J. Code of Judicial Conduct
- New Jersey Supreme Court Committee on Sentence Disparity, Chairman
- CPR Panel of Distinguished Neutrals, Member
- New Jersey Supreme Court Committee to Study Court Reporting Services
- Union County Legal Services, Incorporator and Board of Directors
- 24 Porzio Attorneys Recognized in The Best Lawyers ® in America, 2023 Edition, 8/18/2022
- Congratulations To The 23 Porzio Attorneys Recognized In Best Lawyers® In America, 2022, 8/19/2021
- Congratulations To The 23 Porzio Attorneys Recognized In Best Lawyers In America, 2020, 8/15/2019
- The Honorable James H. Coleman, Jr. to be Included in Rutgers Oral History Archives, 5/12/2017
- Porzio's Education Team Participated in the New Jersey School Boards Association Workshop 2016, 10/26/2016
- The Honorable James H. Coleman, Jr.'s Portrait to be Displayed in the New Jersey Supreme Court, 4/27/2016
- The Honorable James H. Coleman, Jr. Honored with New Jersey Law Journal's Lifetime Achievement Award, 4/26/2016
- Porzio Litigation Team Helps Erase $9 Million Dollar Damages Verdict, 3/09/2016
- Justice Coleman Honored with Library Renaming, 12/23/2015
- Panelist, “Winning Advocacy Techniques at Mediation," ABA Section of Litigation, Young Advocates Committee, June 1, 2017.
- "Why I Became A Secular Minister For Justice," New Jersey Association for Justice Meadowlands Seminar 2016, East Rutherford, NJ, November 18, 2016.
- Presenter, "Supreme Court Review", Porzio Employment Law Forum, Morristown, NJ, October 6, 2009
- "Pioneering in and Perfecting a New and Modern Judiciary," 60th Anniversary of the New Jersey Supreme Court, Trenton, NJ, September 8, 2008
- Lecturer, American Academy of Judicial Education
- Lecturer, American Law Institute/American Bar Association on Products Liability
- Lecturer, Black Congress on Health and Law
- Lecturer, Foster Parents Association
- Lecturer, International Association of Industrial Accidents, Boards and Commissions
- Lecturer, National Bar Association
- Lecturer, New Jersey Judicial College
- Lecturer, Rutgers and Seton Hall School of Law Moot-Courts
- Lecturer, Rutgers University School of Law—Newark and Camden
- Lecturer, Seton Hall University School of Law
- Lecturer, Various Trial Lawyer Associations
Prior Relevant Experience
- New Jersey Supreme Court, Associate Justice, 1994–2003
- New Jersey Superior Court, Appellate Division, Presiding Judge, 1987–1994
- Justice Pro Tempore New Jersey Supreme Court, 134 N.J. 569 (1993); 121 N.J. (1991); 115 N.J. 491 (1989)
- New Jersey Superior Court, Appellate Division, Judge, 1981–1987
- New Jersey Superior Court, Law Division, Judge, 1978–1980
- Special Three-Judge Resentencing Panel, 1979–1981
- Union County Court, Judge, 1973–1978
- New Jersey Workers’ Compensation Court, Judge, 1964–1973