Porzio, Bromberg & Newman, P.C. seeks an experienced legal assistant to support attorneys in the Tax Trust & Estate/Wealth Preservation practice in our Morristown, NJ office.
The ideal candidate will have excellent organization, time management, and multi-tasking skills. The candidate will also be client-service oriented, companionate, have great attention to detail while meeting deadlines, quick to learn and adopt new technologies, and can easily switch gears.
The position requires an independent, self-motivated and flexible individual with excellent verbal and written communication skills. Proficiency with Outlook, Word, Excel and legal document management systems required.
- Ability to answer all incoming calls and make outgoing calls in a professional manner.
- Ability to revise materials including, but not limited to: correspondence, email, documents, memoranda, contracts and other projects. Edit and finalize documents and copy and distribute to clients, attorneys, personnel and the court.
- Proofread and redline documents, correspondence, contracts and memoranda to ensure accuracy of copy, grammar, punctuation and syntax.
- Receive and transmit telephone and conference calls and messages to attorneys, clients and personnel.
- Handle incoming and outgoing mail, date stamp and distribute promptly upon receipt.
- Coordinate travel arrangements securing air, hotel and car reservations for attorneys and clients.
- Set up and maintain personal and firm files.
- Coordinate conferences, meetings and appointments for attorneys and clients including scheduling conference rooms, meals and preparation of materials.
- Maintain calendar of meetings and business trips, apprising attorneys of responsibilities before commitment.
- Coordinate legal work through word processing, editing, communications and messenger services for the prompt production and delivery of documents.
- Coordinate preliminary conflicts checks with Conflict Check Group to ensure attorney and firm ability to represent requesting party.
- Maintain tickler system and follow up on requests made by attorneys, paralegals and clients.
- Review and edit bills prior to attorney approval.
- Coordinate and supervise e-filings and mass mailings, including filings with state and federal courts and agencies.
- Handle attorneys’ personal business and information in a discreet and confidential manner.
- Perform additional assistant functions including processing new client/matter reports, expense reports, preparing notebooks and exhibits.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Trusts and Estates experience within a law firm preferred.
- Minimum experience of two years as a legal assistant or equivalent.
- Proficiency with Outlook, Microsoft Office 2010, iManage and ability to accurately type 75 WPM.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Thorough command of the English language including excellent spelling, grammar, punctuation, form and style.
- Familiarity with legal terminology pertinent to the area of assignment.
- Knowledge of general and litigation case files including multi-case legal files and general document files.
- Familiarity with state and federal court and administrative agency rules, procedures and deadlines.
- Notary certification is helpful, but not required.
- Strong verbal, organizational and interpersonal skills.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Women and minorities are strongly encouraged to apply.
The statements contained in this job description are not necessarily all-inclusive; additional duties may be assigned and job requirements may vary from time to time.