Jonathan B. King is counsel of Porzio, Bromberg & Newman, P.C., and a member of the firm's Real Estate and Corporate, Commercial and Business Law Practice Groups. Jonathan's practice involves commercial, multi-family, educational, retail and industrial real estate, including representation of clients in the acquisition, ownership, finance and leasing of all types of properties. In addition, Jonathan handles a wide range of corporate and limited liability entity matters, including everything from commercial transactions, asset purchases, entity restructuring, stock purchases, limited liability company and joint venture agreements, to solar agreements and construction, architecture and employment contracts. Jonathan also frequently advises financial institutions, investors, borrowers and loan purchasers in matters relating to construction loans, acquisition loans, refinancing and bond financing and defeasance.
No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.
- Recognized on the New Jersey Super Lawyers "Rising Stars" List, Business and Corp, 2018.
A description of the selection process can be found here.
- Real Estate Lessons Learned from Covid-19: A Review of Recent Precedent on Lease Clauses, 6/30/2021
- SBA Payment Protection Program Loans - Use Of Proceeds And Loan Forgiveness, 4/02/2020
- SBA - Paycheck Protection Program Guidance, 4/02/2020
- Paycheck Protection Program Application Process, 4/02/2020
- Does a Roof's Warranty Remain Effective Under Solar Panels?, 4/19/2019
Acquisitions and Sales:
- Negotiation and closing of sale of Duhernal Water System, including Duhernal Lake, dam, water pumping stations, land and easement rights, on behalf of E.I. du Pont de Nemours and Company, including final closing, lease of employees to the Borough of Sayreville, and ongoing handling of Conrail easement issues.
- Led real estate due diligence representing purchaser of $100 million interest in entity controlling One World Trade Center, New York, New York.
- Negotiated and closed $17 million sale and leaseback of major New Jersey corporate campus.
- Closed $10 million asset purchase of Bergen County country club, including real estate and ongoing golf operations, within 2-week time frame.
- Structured and closed buyout transactions relating to 100-unit Middlesex County, New Jersey seaside residential development, including entity restructuring, loan purchase and transfer of development rights.
- Represent purchaser in closing acquisition of new construction warehouse in the New Jersey Meadowlands, including monitoring of construction, handling of post-closing construction and environmental issues, and negotiation of easement and maintenance agreements.
- Handled $1.2 million purchase of New York State office complex from bankruptcy estate on behalf of the confidential purchaser.
- Negotiated and closed sale of $11 million office building in Morris County, New Jersey.
- Represent seller in stock acquisition of specialized industrial metering corporation, including German subsidiary, including negotiation of stock purchase agreement, employment agreements, non-competition agreements and closing and post-closing escrow arrangements.
- Represent purchaser of packaging audit business method from 501(c)(6) non-profit trade organization and establishment of LLC to operate business, including negotiation of sales contract, employment and severance agreements.
- Design and closing of LLC buyout via liquidation and reissue of membership interests to accomplish transfer of Bayonne residential development property, development rights and approvals to successor investors, including consummation of acquisition financing.
- Corporate representation of New York City shipping hedge fund with respect to the operating agreement, executive incentive compensation, and maritime finance issues.
- Sale of Manhattan rooftop restaurant and bar entity including negotiation of membership interest purchase agreement, post-closing escrow agreement and intellectual property issues.
- Negotiation of purchase and lease of New Brunswick bar and restaurant and subsequent restructuring via transfer of LLC interests, with amendment and restatement of operating agreement and negotiation of successor tax, lease and inventory issues.
- Negotiate and close $15 million refinance, bond payoff, construction financing, property sale and leaseback on behalf of a 5-school charter network located in Camden, New Jersey.
- Negotiate and close sale and leaseback of charter school property in Jersey City, New Jersey to related charter school entity.
- Represent New Brunswick, New Jersey charter school in negotiation and closing of $8 million bond financing transaction.
- Represent New Jersey community college in the restructuring of $3 million construction transaction, including revision of architect and contractor contracts and negotiation of construction manager agreements.
- Represented borrower in $400 million refinance of portfolio of 13 apartment complexes in several states.
- Represented borrower in $125 million refinance of Illinois apartment complex.
- Represented lender in $73 million refinance of Nassau County, New York mall property
- Represented lender in $60 million refinance of San Mateo, California mall property.
- Represent medium-size New Jersey lenders in a variety of commercial acquisition and refinance loans secured by industrial, retail and office properties.
- Handled $22 million refinances of low-income housing projects in Essex County, New Jersey, including defeasance of existing bond financing, negotiation of commercial loan financing, and buyout of syndicated investor and reconfiguration of ownership entities.
- Negotiated sublease and subsequent direct lease of 80,000 square foot Jacksonville office tower on behalf of major international banking tenant.
- Drafted and negotiated lease and fit-out of 15,000 square foot Miami office space on behalf of major international banking tenant.
- Handled negotiation of Manhattan lease amendment representing international diamond merchant client.
- Handled negotiation of Hawaii and New Jersey mall leases on behalf of Japanese retail client.