Government Investigations and Compliance
Porzio features seasoned litigators experienced in representing corporate and individual clients in government investigations and compliance matters. Our team has successfully represented corporate and individual clients in industries such as life sciences (pharmaceutical, biotech, medical device and dietary supplements), health care, casinos and gaming, government entities and municipalities, energy, sports, trucking and transportation and real estate and land use.
Porzio’s team includes a long-time Assistant U.S. Attorney and Trial Attorney for the U.S. Department of Justice and a member of the white-collar defense bar with over 30 years of experience. As such, our attorneys provide a unique understanding of federal investigations and procedures from different perspectives. Porzio’s clients also benefit from the firm's multi-disciplinary approach to each matter, with access to experienced attorneys across our other related practice areas.
Porzio’s investigations and compliance practice is nationwide in scope. Our attorneys have handled matters in federal and state courts and administrative agencies. They are adept at conducting and representing witnesses in internal investigations and well as representing corporate and individual clients that are being investigated by the Department of Justice, grand juries, administrative agencies (including the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and Food and Drug Administration (FDA)) and state Attorneys General. Our attorneys have extensive first-chair trial experience. They have regularly represented witnesses called to testify before Congressional Committees, including the House Energy and Commerce Committee and the Senate Commerce Committee.
Our attorneys have handled investigations and cases in a variety of substantive legal fields, including cybersecurity, antitrust, fraud, securities fraud, intellectual property, and corporate governance. They have worked on alleged violations of federal and state statutes, including the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, mail and wire fraud, money laundering, and the Consumer Fraud Act. They have handled matters relating to international extraditions and litigation, including those involving European VAT fraud and compliance disputes, national security and foreign intelligence.
Porzio is also well-versed in designing preexisting corporate compliance programs as well as remedial efforts to implement an effective corporate compliance program.
- Represented a business being investigated for criminal violations of New Jersey's antitrust laws. No charges were brought against the corporation or the owners.
- Represented a family-owned corporation accused of violating the Consumer Fraud Act in the sale of a hotel. In a published opinion, the Appellate Division found that the Act did not apply.
- Represented several clients in negotiating favorable plea agreements to white-collar offenses.
- Conducted an internal investigation of alleged wrongdoing by members of the board of a trade association.
- Represented former CEO of Enron Corporation in Congressional and Department of Justice investigations as well as an internal investigation.
- Represented member of the International Olympic Committee in Congressional investigation.
- Represented client in Congressional and grand jury campaign fundraising investigations.
- Represented dietary supplement company in criminal trademark infringement and mail and wire fraud investigation.
- Represented a Washington lobbyist in a federal criminal tax investigation.
- Represented publicly-traded company in Federal Trade Commission study involving assertions of patents.
William J. Hughes, Jr. Principal