As a member of Porzio, Bromberg & Newman's Litigation Practice Group, Marie-Laurence (ML) Fabian focuses her practice in education law and employment law, with a concentration in special education. She has extensive experience counseling school boards, charter schools and private schools in a variety of issues that impact those clients daily.
ML has served the education community since the start of her legal career. Through the years, she has become a trusted legal advisor to superintendents, business administrators and other school administrators as they deal with the many challenges they face on a daily basis. She helps her clients with a large variety of matters, including contracts, public bids, labor and employment, and student issues. ML counsels clients on the Harassment, Intimidation and Bullying (HIB) Law and the problems that arise during the investigations required by that law.
ML works closely with Directors of Human Resources to help resolve issues that arise with teachers and other employees, through a review of collective bargaining agreements or by providing advice on general employment law matters.
Special Education is a major focus of ML's practice. She advises Directors of Special Services as they navigate the many procedural and substantive issues involved in working with parents to create Individualized Education Programs for students. When disputes with parents arise, she helps to resolve the disputes through mediation. When mediation is not the solution, she represents the district in due process hearings before the Office of the Administrative Law, also handling any appeals in federal district court, as necessary.
ML forms close relationships with administrators based on trust, accessibility and responsiveness. School administrators understand there are no questions too small to ask. Working together, ML will help her clients through any problem, with the goal of moving forward.
- New Jersey Association of School Attorneys
- Morris County Bar Association
- Porzio's Litigation Department Volunteers for Homeless Solutions, 8/02/2017
- Porzio Employment Law Alert Republished in The New Jersey Police Chief Magazine, 3/27/2017
- 8th Annual Porzio Employment Law Forum, 11/15/2016
- Porzio's Litigation Practice Profiled by New Jersey Law Journal, 11/15/2016
- Porzio's Education Team Participated in the New Jersey School Boards Association Workshop 2016, 10/26/2016
- Porzio's 2022 Employment Law Year in Review, 12/28/2022
- Praying at the Fifty Yard Line: How the Lemon Test Finally Lost its Zest, July 2022
- Leave Entitlements Arising from COVID-19, 3/20/2020
- Lack of Specificity and Failure to Follow a Grievance Procedure in A Collective Bargaining Agreement May Lead to Dismissal, 6/26/2017
- New Jersey Appellate Division Increases Requirements Under the Open Public Meetings Act, 2/10/2017
- "You're on Mute! Optimizing the Performance of Your Remote Workers," Porzio Employment Law Forum, October 20, 2021.
- "Managing COVID-related Workplace Accommodation Requests," Porzio Employment Law Forum, October 27, 2020.
- "Are You Being Reasonable? Handling Requests For Accommodations," Porzio Employment Law Forum, October 2019.
- "School Law for the 'Non-School' Paralegal," Paralegal Association of New Jersey's General Membership Meeting, Morristown, NJ, June 11, 2019.
- "Conducting an Effective Internal Investigation," National Business Institute, Newark, NJ, December 7, 2016.
- "New Regulations, Legislation, And Case Law Impacting Your Business," Porzio Employment Law Forum, Morristown, NJ, November 15, 2016.
- "Lawfully Managing Student Records Without Violating Privacy Rights," National Business Institute, Newark, NJ, December 9, 2014.
- "New Regulations, Legislation, and Case Law Impacting Your Business," Porzio Employment Law Forum, Morristown, NJ, November 17, 2014.
- "Special Education, A Holistic Approach," Hopatcong, NJ, September 16, 2014.
- "New Legislation and Case Law Impacting Your Business," Porzio Employment Law Forum, Morristown, NJ, November 15, 2013.
- "Managing the Manager: What Your Managers Should Know," Porzio Employment Law Forum, Morristown, NJ, December 3, 2012.
- "Lawfully Managing Student Records Without Violating Privacy Rights," National Business Institute, Princeton, NJ, January 24, 2012.
- "Communicating with the Troops: How to Best Document and Distribute Information on Company Policies," Porzio Employment Law Forum, Morristown, NJ, November 17, 2011.
- "New Regulations, Legislation, and Case Law Impacting Your Business," Porzio Employment Law Forum, Morristown, NJ, November 17, 2011.
- "Hot Legal Topics that Impact Your Business," New Jersey Child Care Association's Partners in Education Child Care Conference, Raritan, NJ, April 2, 2011.
- "Minimizing Risks Upon Termination," Porzio Employment Law Forum, Morristown, NJ, October 26, 2010.
- "Legal Training," New Jersey Association of School Administrators, August 2010.
- "Law and the Classroom Teacher," Centenary College, January 14, 2000.
- "School Law Issues in New Jersey," National Business Institute, August 27, 1997.